Recycling Driver Helper
Under immediate supervision, is responsible for collection of commercial and residential refuse on assigned routes. Disposes of garbage, recyclables, brush and other materials at appropriate disposal sites.
Essential Job Functions
- Picks up, carries, and empties garbage cans, recycling bins and brush into trucks without damage to containers.
- Picks up debris and other refuse and places in proper collection vehicle.
- Returns garbage cans and recycling bins to their original location.
- Operates mechanism for loading and dumping into collection vehicle.
- Directs driver in backing truck at all times.
- Provides customer service by answering questions from the general public.
- Ensures that safety apparel is worn and safety practices and procedures are followed.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
Time: 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Days: M, T, Thru, Friday - 40 hour week
PPE: Steel toe boots
- Six (6) months of experience in the performance of manual labor.
- Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques and practices.
- Ability to learn to drive a large commercial vehicle.
- Ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- Ability to learn City streets.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with co-workers, supervisors and the general public.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods.
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position.
Physical requirements include frequently lifting/carrying 40 pounds;
visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual
dexterity necessary to operate a commercial vehicle. Subject to
walking, sitting, standing, reaching and twisting to perform the
essential functions. Working conditions are primarily outside with
frequent exposure to temperature extremes, dust; damp/wet surfaces, and
high noise level.